The Portal is a dedicated virtual reality room where members can book to experience high definition virtual reality. Using the Oculus Rift VR headset, users can explore other worlds, swim with sharks, climb mountains, or even walk in space.
The Portal is free to use for library members.
The Portal contains the following equipment:
- Oculus Rift headset
- Touch controllers
- Xbox One controller (on request)
The Portal has a range of games and experiences to cater to a wide range of tastes. These include:
The maximum duration of a booking is 1.5 hours and can only be booked during the following session’s:
|Monday-Friday||9.30 – 10:30 am|
|10.30 am – 12 noon|
|12.00 noon – 1:30 pm|
|1:30 – 3:00 pm|
|3.00 – 4:30 pm|
|4:30 – 6:00 pm|
|Saturday||9:00 – 10.30 am|
|10:30 am – 12 noon|
Due to demand you may only make one advanced booking at a time.
Before you can use The Portal you must first complete a short induction. This induction ensures that everyone has a basic understanding of how to use the space and of our expectations of you. Inductees must be current library members and 16 years of age or older.
On completion of induction your library card will be flagged as being free to book The Portal.
Once you have completed an induction, you have the freedom to book and use the space. However, this means you have a responsibility while using this facility to avoid activities that may be malicious or illegal. This includes but is not limited to downloading or installing pirated software, altering existing software, or changing existing configurations and settings. Any patrons suspected of conducting themselves in an illegal or inappropriate manner will be prohibited from using The Portal.
Booking the Portal
Once you have completed an induction you can book sessions in The Portal. To provide an equitable booking system for all users the following conditions apply:
- Only library members who have completed an induction may book The Portal.
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who has previously been inducted.
- Inducted parents/guardians must remain in the room with children younger than 16 years for the duration of the booking.
- You must leave your library card with staff for the duration of your booking as security and to receive the required controllers.
- Your library card is returned upon presentation of the controllers at the end of your booking.
- If you need to leave the Portal at any time, please advise staff so they can lock the room. This secures your belongings and ours.
Using the Portal
Users are free to explore the content available on the Oculus Rift PC, however staff are unable to provide guidance or assistance. The controllers are used to navigate through a virtual menu, select content and interest within the apps.
Important points to note:
- You are required to wear the wrist straps on the controllers when you have the headset on.
- The ‘Guardian’ system (Oculus Rift) shows the limits of your walkable space. This resembles a blue grid wall appearing in your headset. Do not step beyond this wall.
- Some games have an online multiplayer element or online content. Port Macquarie-Hastings Council takes no responsibility for the behaviour, actions, or content of those online.
You are welcome to suggest games and experiences for us to purchase through the Oculus software*. Simply select ‘add to wish list’ on the title you like. The wish list will be periodically assessed by staff.
*No assurance is made that your desired software will be purchased.
If you need to cancel a confirmed booking, please let us know as soon as possible before your start time to allow other people an opportunity to use your time slot.
If you are running late for a booked session, please let us know when you expect to arrive. If we do not hear from you within 30 minutes of your start time your booking will be cancelled to allow others to use the facility.
For all late arrivals and cancellations please call 6581 8755 during opening hours.
End of session
When you are finished, please take your controllers to the service desk to collect your library card. Staff will inspect the room after your session. Any damage, other than normal wear and tear, is your responsibility and you will be required to compensate the library for repair or replacement. Your honesty in this regard will avoid embarrassment to you and inconvenience to others.
Library members may not use The Portal for any purpose which contravenes any State or Commonwealth laws.
A copy of the Guidelines for users is available for download
For more information or to book a session call Port Macquarie Library on 6581 8755.