Zoom is a free video conferencing tool that can be used to connect with multiple people for meetings, webinars or conferences. You can use Zoom as an application on your computer or as an app on a mobile device.
You do not need a Zoom account to attend a Zoom meeting. Simply click on the link provided to you as part of registering for an event then enter the Meeting ID and Password when prompted.
If you have not used Zoom before you will be asked to download the Zoom client from your web browser. If using Zoom on your computer you will need to have audio capabilities to hear the meeting. It is also recommended you have video capabilities to see what is happening, but is not a requirement.
How to Join a Meeting
- Go to Zoom using the link provided in the registration confirmation or reminder emails.
- Download the zoom client if prompted (you will be asked to do this the first time you try to use Zoom)
- Click the “Join a Meeting” button.
- When prompted, enter the Meeting ID and a name (this will be the name that others see in the meeting).
Please ensure that the “Do not connect to audio” check box is turned on.
- When prompted enter the Password
- Remember that these Zoom events are public and you should behave as if you were at an event being held at the library. Please be respectful of the presenters and others in the meeting.
- It’s really important to mute yourself when not speaking and even more so when on group calls. Background noise, especially if there are other people in the home, is really distracting. Even simple things like cabinets and doors closing can get picked up.
- Position your camera properly. If you choose to use a web camera, be sure it is in a stable position and focused at eye level, if possible. Doing so helps create a more direct sense of engagement with other participants.
- If you have any questions for the presenters, please ask by typing in the chat pane.